(Capcom's primary storyline)
- See also: C-Virus (Liberty)
The Chrysalid Virus, commonly abbreviated as "C-Virus", is a variant of the Progenitor virus used in a series of bioterrorist attacks in 2012 and 2013. They are responsible for mutations such as the J'avo.
The C-Virus was created by combining an enhanced version of the Veronica virus with the G-virus variant within Sherry Birkin's blood. Unlike the t-Virus, the C-Virus allows the infected to maintain some of its intelligence, allowing the creatures that mutate from the virus to co-ordinate attacks and use weapons.
An enhanced version of the C-Virus was engineered, but only three syringes containing it are known of — all three used before the end of the Lanshiang conflict. Carla Radames is the only one who knows how to produce it.
- Means of Infection
At this point, the infection methods of the virus are mostly unknown, however two forms of primary infection are known. Direct injection into the blood stream is the first, the result of which is the infectee becoming a J'avo. This takes effect almost immediately, causing rapid increase in the subject's strength and speed and causing the subject to develop several eyes. However it seems that by using a more advanced strain, subjects injected can immediately enter into a Chrysalid state before erupting into a Complete Mutation. This is seen when Carla Radames uses a Needle Bomb to inject several BSAA operatives, and again when she shoots B.S.A.A operative, Marco, with a needle. It would seem that the infection that mutates humans into a Zombie is through a gas-based distribution method, via an airborne strain of the virus. The gas kills any who inhale it and later reanimates the corpses. The Lepotitsa replicates the C-Virus infection through a gas it expels through its pores, as this gas is seen causing a nearly immediate transformation into a Zombie. It is presumable that like the T-Virus, secondary infection occurs when an individual is bitten or scratched by a Zombie. The Haos creature developed by Carla housed organs inside its body that produced the same type of gas as the Lepotitsa, though due to its size would make it capable of infecting a greater area at a greater rate.
As noted in a file on the virus, the C-Virus causes the subject to enter an intense state of febrility. Their body heat increases exponentially and the more damage their body sustains (and subsequently the more they have to regenerate), the hotter their body becomes. Although the C-Virus will allow the J'avo to heal and even mutate (or "evolve") damaged limbs or parts of their body, their body heat will increase to such a point that when they finally succumb to their wounds, their corpses will burn up in bright flames. One infected with the C-Virus will sometimes exhibit similar symptoms (as seen by the infected BSAA agents in Edonia) when entering a Chrysalid state, their bodies becoming engulfed in flames before the hardened cocoon encases them completely.
When Carla used the blood of Albert Wesker's son, Jake, she was able to create an enhanced version of the C-Virus which eliminated the Chrysalid stage completely. With this enhanced version of the virus, the infected would be able to willingly control various transformations without risking damage to their cellular integrity. The mutations of Simmons greatly exhibited this in his ability to frequently shift back to monstrous canine and dinosaur forms from his broken human form throughout his numerous battles.
Overall, the C-Virus combines the traits and abilities of the two viruses it was derived from, possessing the adaptive mutations of the G-virus and the combustible properties of the T-Veronica virus. The T-Veronica virus is visible in some of the mutations where the mutations usually result in the development of insect-like appendages. A trait seen in Alexia Ashford's later forms, Steve Burnside, and Alexander Ashford. The quick responses to severe physical trauma are a result of the G-Virus. William Birkin would change forms when severely injured. It would seem the T-Veronica virus would act as a restraint to keep the mutations from getting out of hand. Furthermore, Simmons's dinosaur form bears several eye-like growths, a signature feature of G-virus B.O.W.s.
The C-Virus development began in 2001 when the method of designing it was discovered by Dr. Carla Radames, who concentrated her PhD in virology and understanding of biological weaponry to impress her employer, Derek C. Simmons. While considered "obsolescent", the t-Veronica Virus was considered a beneficial base for the virus development, due to the Progenitor Virus' ability to mutate DNA properties. Carla succeeded in removing the t-Veronica Virus' need for the host to go into hibernation in order to co-exist with it; this variant became known as "t-02". Carla quickly began work on the next stage of her development: incorporating the G-Virus' genome into "t-02". Luckily for Carla, through Simmons' links she already had access to samples of the G-Virus present in the regular blood samples taken from Sherry Birkin. She foresaw years of development ahead of her.
The Seabed Laboratory on the Chinese coast was completed and functioning by 2011, with samples of extremophiles being obtained from the high-temperature environment of the nearby underwater volcano. Their resistance in extreme environments made them interesting additions to the virus' makeup. The facility itself was designed with the primary goal of developing the HAOS B.O.W.,.
By June 2011, human trials had reached 323 test subjects. However, 322 died within the first 24 hours. But, with careful detail in understanding the desired traits, the 323rd - the Ustanak - became a successful bio-weapon. The development of that particular B.O.W. shifted from biological research to designing weapons for it by December.
The incubation period of the virus is unknown, but it seems to be very short. If a person becomes infected by a virus cloud then that person can become a zombie within seconds. Liz and her father took significantly longer to transform, it is quite possible that how much of the gas an individual inhales affects how long it takes for the transformation to occur. Though how long it would have taken for her father to do so is unknown, as she killed and ate him before it could continue. Those infected via C-Virus serum will begin immediate transformation into J'avo, and those infected with an advanced strain can be turned into a Chrysalid creature within seconds.
Use in terrorismEdit
The first recorded usage of the C-Virus was during the Marhawa Academy Outbreak sometime in 2012 done by Carla Radames, in which a B.O.W was used to disperse the airborne form of the virus to infect the students of the academy. At that point, the C-Virus existence was unconfirmed until several months later.
The next record of C-Virus usage was during the Edonian Civil War in late-2012, still being completely-unknown to the BSAA beforehand. Carla Radames provided the Edonian Liberation Army with C-Virus samples, which were widely-distributed to their soldiers. To lull them into a false sense of security, the men were misinformed about the nature of the samples, believing them instead to be specialized stimulants to improve combat-effectiveness. Due to the effects of Primary infection, the men turned themselves into J'avo. It was Carla herself who told the BSAA operatives she came across about the C-Virus.
The next attack took place six months later in June, 2013. In the American city of Tall Oaks, a C-Virus attack took place during President Adam Benford's visit to the nearby Ivy University, where he planned to make a speech on bioterrorism. At least one Lepotitsa was used to disperse a cloud of the virus across the campus, leading to the transformation of anyone who breathed in infected-air into zombies. Around 70.000 civilians of Tall Oaks were infected during the incident.
Meanwhile, in Lanshiang, China, another C-Virus outbreak occurred. Again, this involved a number of cases of Primary infection, as J'avo were rampant throughout the city. Then in a second attack on the city involved cases of secondary infection which created zombies.
With the use of Jake Muller's blood, the U.S. government managed to create a vaccine for the C-Virus. It was tentatively given the name "Anti-C." However, the vaccine is not an actual means of treatment for the virus per se. If given to a person who has not been infected with the disease, they will be made immune to the virus although it is noted that it is also not a guaranteed means of preventing infection. If Anti-C were to be used on a victim that had already been infected, it would likely prove fatal. The success rate of those infected is incredibly low and those who have already began to exhibit symptoms of the J'avo will definitely be killed if the vaccine were to be administered to them.
The BSAA is tracking Jake Muller to obtain more blood samples from him in the hopes of creating a new vaccine should the C-Virus evolve.
- Airhart, Ben
- Alfonso, Carl
- Former BSAA operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Benford, Adam
- Harper, Deborah
- Macauley, Finn
- Former BSAA European Branch operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Nivans, Piers
- Former BSAA operative. Injected himself with an enhanced strain of the C-Virus after losing his right arm, growing a new mutated arm with the ability to discharge electricity. Killed in an underwater facility explosion.
- Radames, Carla
- Derek C. Simmons' most loyal scientist. Transformed into an Ada Wong look-alike by The Family under Simmons' order, by injecting a Chrysalid cocoon with Ada's DNA. Injected herself with an overdose of the C-Virus after being shot and mutated into a gigantic white goo creature, hellbent on killing Ada. Killed by Ada Wong.
- Simmons, Derek C.
- Former National Security Advisor. Injected with an enhanced strain of the C-Virus by Carla Radames' J'avo. Could shape shift into either a large canine-like monster, a creature similar to a giant T-Rex, and a massive insect. Killed when shot with a rocket launcher and impaled on a pillar.
- Walker, Andy
- Former BSAA operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Yoshihara, Nanan
- Former student of Marhawa Academy, also known as "Test Subject C-16" by Carla Radames. Mutated into the first Lepotitsa. Killed by Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans.
- A zombie created from the C-Virus capable of running and using weapons.
- A hulking version of the C-Virus zombie that uses its weight to its advantage.
- A C-Virus zombie with mutated lungs capable of producing an ear-piercing scream.
- Zombie Dog C
- Dogs that have been mutated into zombies through the C-Virus infection.
- A rare form of zombie that is more mobile and more vicious with all of its muscle tissue exposed.
- Fully-intelligent humans infected with the C-Virus causing spontaneous regeneration and mutation.
- A Chrysalid is a state that many C-Virus produced creatures enter before erupting as what is known as a "Complete Mutation."
- A lizard-like creature with the primary function of frightening intruders. The Strelats is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid.
- A highly-intelligent crow-like creature that only feeds on corpses. The Mesets is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid.
- A large, hulking creature that is protected by a tough outer shell and thick musculature. The Napad is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid.
- A swarm or hornet-like insects that often takes the shape of a human woman. The Gnezdo is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid and was actually a failed product of Simmons attempting to recreate Ada Wong.
- A tall creature covered in pores capable of expelling a gas that turns humans into zombies. The Lepotitsa is a Complete Mutation and was actually a failed product of Simmons attempting to recreate Ada Wong.
- A Leech-like parasitic creature that can detach and regenerate limbs.
- A behemoth of a creature with a growth on the back of its neck with some kind of metal connector. The Ogroman is likely a Complete Mutation, as Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans witness it "hatching" aboard an anti-aircraft ship.
- A creature resembling a monstrous shark that relies on vibrations in the water to hunt its prey.
- A giant, snake-like creature that hunts using its ability to blend in completely with its surroundings.
- A human-shaped monster with its heart in its arm, powering a fused organic chainsaw made of flesh, bone, and muscle tissue. The Ubistvo is a Complete Mutation, its "birth" witnessed by Ada Wong while in China.
- An overly-muscular human-like creature with a metallic arm attachment and a variety of accessories made by Neo Umbrella scientists.
- Large insects created by an organ on Ustanak's back, acting as his "eyes."
- A massive B.O.W. with a skull-like face and lower body resembling that of a centipede and cuttlefish.
- Deborah Harper
- An apparent human with discolored skin and spider-like appendages that can extend from its back. Deborah's mutation is a Complete Mutation.
- Carla Radames
- An enormous shapeless white goo with what remains of Carla's face.
- Derek C. Simmons
- Either a canine-like beast, a giant T-Rex creature, or a massive insect shaped B.O.W. that can shape shift back and forth to a more human form.
- ↑ Capcom. Resident Evil 6. (Capcom Co., Ltd.). File: The C-Virus.
- ↑ Capcom. Resident Evil 6. (Capcom Co., Ltd.). File: Carla Radames (file).
- ↑ Capcom. Resident Evil 6. (Capcom Co., Ltd.). File: Enhanced C-Virus.
- ↑ Producer Interview w/ Game Informer
- ↑ Resident Evil 6, "The C-Virus"
- ↑ Resident Evil 6, "Underwater Facility"
- ↑ Resident Evil 6, "Lab Report"
- ↑ Resident Evil 6, "Experiment Log"
- ↑ Resident Evil 6, "Enhanced C-Virus"
- ↑ CAPCOM：BIOHAZARD 6 公式サイト INTRODUCTION (page 9) (Japanese). Capcom. Retrieved on 2012-09-27.