|Created via:||Type 3 Plagas|
Unlike the other Plagas who burst from the neck, the Duvalia species destroys its host's entire upper body when it emerges. It appears as a large flower-like parasite with thick armor on the outside of its body. Its weak points are the fleshy "tail" that hangs off its back (the remains of the host's upper torso/ribcage), and the fleshy core of the shell, which is only exposed when the Duvalia is about to attack the player or if shot in the legs repeatedly. In addition to these, and the usual weakness to bright light, a Duvalia can be blown to pieces with a single hand grenade if the explosive hits the core. It is also the type of Plaga with the least appearances of all.
Due to its lack of arms and heavy shell, the Duvalia is one of the only foes in the entire game who cannot jump or climb. However, in the Mercenaries minigame, the Duvalia gains the ability to jump across gaps and walk up stairs, although ladders are still impassable obstacles for it.
Duvalia can also be seen as a capsule-contained toy figure in the Resident Evil 5 bonus features.
- Headbutt - Inflicts a moderate amount of damage. The attack is quite slow and can be predicted.
- Bite - Will send the player into the Dying stage. If a Duvalia bites the player a second time before he/she is rescued by the partner, it will remove the entire upper body, causing instant death. The animation is fast and quite similar to the Headbutt.
- Chapter 3-1: Spawns after retrieving the Shaman slate along with a large wave of Majini.
- Chapter 6-1: Spawns in a completely bulletproof Base Majini after the partner is trapped in one of the containers. This one is required to defeat, since it holds the Crane Keycard. Another one spawns in a Majini at the end of the underground route of the cargo hold, but is not required to defeat.
- Chapter 6-2: Spawns in another completely bulletproof (Except for the head) Majini in the end of the hallway leading to the bridge. This one is required to defeat, since it holds the Bridge Keycard.
- If it explodes when the Duvalia is just above it a Hand Grenade will instantly kill it, if it explodes near the Duvalia but not under it the Duvalia may expose its core.
- Use a Flash Grenade to instantly kill it.
- The Flash Rounds of the Grenade Launcher will instantly kill it with one shot.
- A Rocket Launcher can instantly kill it.
- Use a Proximity Bomb to instantly kill it.
- Use a Magnum to shoot its exposed core.
- The Majini that are scripted to spawn Duvalia are still vulnerable Execution Moves (Neck Break and Throat Slit). The player may end up killing the Duvalia Majini without it erupting.
- Before the Majini can transform into a Duvalia, it can be frozen solid with Nitrogen Rounds from the Grenade Launcher and shattered.
- A Duvalia's legs can be fired upon repeatedly to make it kneel and open up its upper body, allowing a clear shot at its core. Even if the Duvalia has leg armor, the ankles and feet are still vulnerable. Shotguns are especially useful for that.
- If it is about to attack, one should quickly approach it from behind and strike using a Stun Rod, dealing instant death.
- In general, keeping your distance from a Duvalia renders it harmless. Even if it is fought in a confined space, you can use the windup of its attacks to get away and shoot its weak points.
- If a Majini is swelling with bubbles, it means it's going to turn into a Duvalia. However, this should not be confused with certain Base Majini who swell up and explode - the animation may be similar, but the result is radically different.
- A easy way to know if the Majini is going to explode is to shoot him again. His body will instantly explode if the player hits him one more time with any weapon.
- Also, differently from the Duvalia emergence animation, when about to explode he'll inflate like a balloon (with smoke coming out of the back) and grab his head. The animation for a Base Majini exploding is also longer than the emerging Duvalia animation.
The Duvalia return as mini bosses in certain missions throughout the game. They function exactly as they did in Resident Evil 5 and can still be killed by flash grenades.
- Strangely, in The Mercenaries 3D when a Duvalia bites Claire in half, her legs will disappear and the top half of her will go through the standard death animation.
- Since the pieces of flesh hooked to the torso cause the Duvalia pain when shot, it can be assumed that it may have opened the body forcefully but is still attached to all the nerves of the destroyed tissue.
- Duvalia refers to a species of plant found in Africa. It's most recognizable feature is a large bulb found inside five shorter appendages, which the Plaga mimics with its armored shell and vulnerable core.
- The Duvalia looks similar to the Tree of Madagascar also known as "The Man Eating Tree", a cryptid said feed on large animals and humans as well. Its existence has since been proved to be a hoax.