|Can be found:||Purchasable|
|Can be combined with:||Stock (Red9)|
|Appears in:||Resident Evil 4|
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
The Red9 is a Handgun that is available for Leon to purchase from the Merchant in Resident Evil 4. It is notable for having an antique appearance. It is also a reliable and powerful gun and can be fitted with a stock to help Leon steady his aim.
The Red9 becomes available for purchase for 14,000₧ during Chapter 2-2. It takes up 8 spaces (4x2) of Leon's inventory, making it the bulkiest handgun in the game. The Red9 uses Handgun Ammo and does more damage (5 after exclusive upgrade) than other handguns, but is outdone in all other areas by the other handguns.
An equipable stock is first available in Chapter 2-3 for 4,000₧, which takes up an additional 3 spaces (3x1). It reduces the Red 9's recoil and steadies its aim.
Tune up chartEdit
Fire Speed and Reload Speed are given in seconds.
Some stats differ between the Gamecubes US and Japanese release, the PAL release, and the PS2, PC, Wii, and HD ports.
It takes a total of 331,000₧ to buy and fully upgrade the Red9. It will total to 335,000₧ with buying the stock.
|Level||Firing Power||Cost||Firing Speed||Cost||Reload Speed||Cost||Capacity||Cost|
- Examine Description: Red9:
"A powerful 9mm handgun."
- Examine Description: Red9 w/Stock:
"A powerful 9mm handgun with stock."
- Examine Description: Stock (Red9):
"A stock for the 9mm Red9 handgun. Absorbs and spreads out 80% of the recoil forces for increased shooting stability and comfort."
- Merchant comment:
"Ahh... A choice of an avid gun collector. It's a nice gun Stranger."
- Because of the Red9's high firing power, accuracy and its stability, it can be used as a pseudo-rifle for taking precise powerful headshots from a distance and for certain actions such as freeing Ashley from her trap. However, it cannot equip a scope, meaning the player will have to use a rifle or another alternate method to take down the Regenerators in the later chapters.
- Because this gun is so powerful, it is very good at saving ammunition. This means the gun is easier to use in boss battles and, with the stock, it is easier to aim at boss's weak points.
- The Red9 is better at taking enemies out one at a time, whereas the Blacktail and Punisher are superior when taking on groups of enemies.
- With the stock, the Red9 takes up the most space in the player's inventory than any other handgun. To save space during the earlier chapters, it might not be necessary to purchase the stock immediately but to wait until the player is at the castle to purchase it.
The Mercenaries 3DEdit
The Red9 is available for two 3DS "play points" as a special weapon, along with the two-way grenade launcher. It is one of the most powerful weapons in the game (being able to defeat most enemies in one shot to the head) but suffers from low starting ammo, a long reload, and strangely, only a three-round magazine. It is recommendable to equip it with a fully leveled handgun skill to increase critical hit ratio.
Because of the low magazine size and long reload, players can easily find themselves taking heavy damage in situations where headshots are difficult or against enemies with shields who generally need to be shot in the foot, or enemies with face-masks and players may find themselves relying heavily on the grenade launcher; therefore, it is preferable not to use it in later missions, especially against Zealots who can absorb more than one shot to the face.
Alternatively, it can be unlocked by acquiring 15 play coins. (Players are only allowed up to 10 a day, so you can either take 1000 steps with the stepometer on the 3DS one day and 500 the next, or use the date change exploit to change the date and get more and do 1500 or more steps to purchase it).
- In Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Sergei Vladimir is seen using a Red9 in a cutscene. However, it is not available during gameplay.