Bioterrorism is intentional release of a virus or other pathogen with malicious intent for it to proliferate, infect, and kill any given number of people for its qualities to inspire or provoke fear in a population to exert leverage or control or to create a political or ideological statement with which to express beliefs and impress them upon others.
Incidents of bioterrorismEdit
Following the Raccoon City Destruction Incident, and the lead-up to and following the 2003 fall of Umbrella, the corporation's stockpile of biological weapons were released to the black market by a number of sources, including former employees, researchers, and executives. As a result, bioterror events bloomed all over the world, with a total victim rate of over one million people by 2005. By this time, General Miguel Grandé, junta-leader of the Republic of Bajirib had become the "spokesperson" of bioterror, organizing a business deal with Frederic Downing to purchase samples of both the "t" and "G" viruses and their respective cures for use as weapons. Though this event was eventually quelled by Leon S. Kennedy; Angela Miller and Claire Redfield, a large number of victims suffered, including patrons of the Harvardville Airport, as well as several Special Forces members, and many WilPharma employees. Four years later, inhabitants of the KAZ experienced a bioterror incident that culminated in the destruction of the populous and the death of Albert Wesker, a key figure in bioterrorism worldwide. In 2011, Spencer's legacy, in the form of Alex Wesker, conducted illegal virus research and development somewhere near Russia, but was stopped by Claire Redfield and Barry Burton. In 2013, Neo Umbrella leaked the C-Virus around the world in a series of attacks.
List of bioterror incidentsEdit
Note that an "incident" is not synonymous with an "attack", and may instead mean that a terrorist organization was arrested before the plot could be carried out.
North America - At least five incidents took place by 2005 in the United States after the Raccoon City Incident - one in Alaska; two on the west coast; one on the east and the Harvardville Airport outbreak. Another two incidents took place in Canada and Mexico. There was also a planned bioterrorist attack on the United States by the Plaga-worshipping cult Los Iluminados, by kidnapping the First daughter Ashley Graham, injecting her with a Queen Plaga, and then releasing her to the United States. Then in 2013 another bioterror event occurs in Tall Oaks leading to the deaths of over 70,000 people including President Adam Benford.
South America - By 2005, there was an incident in southern Brazil done by Javier Hidalgo, and in the north of the continent (perhaps Ecuador).
Eurasia - This continent is notable for its bioterror incidents. By 2005, there were incidents in the United Kingdom; Norway and Mediterranean in Europe. Russia suffered a further three. A bioterrorist attack by the organization "Il Veltro" occurred on the island of Terragrigia in 2003. In the Middle East, there was an incident near the Sinai. In Southern and Eastern Asia there was an incident near the Iranian/Pakistani border; one by Downing in India; two in China; one in Japan; one in Malaysia and a final incident in Indochina. In 2013, there was a third incident in China. In the year 2012 during the Edonian Civil War the C-Virus was given to members of the Edonian Liberation Army and resulted in an outbreak of the virus. Some time before and after Resident Evil 6, a bioterrorist attack occurs in a Middle East country which involved Napads. Another bioterror attack occurred somewhere in Singapore, in an isolated school named Marhawa Academy, with a Lepotica being used to infect the entire academy.
Oceania - Two incidents occurred in Australia, and a third took place in New Zealand.
Africa - South; Central and Southern Africa were involved in bioterrorist incidents in 2005. Also in 2009 the Kijuju Autonomous Zone Incident occurs and the B.S.A.A is sent there to suppress the outbreak.
Unknown - An incident lasting over a year happened in the nearly uncharted Sushestvovanie Island.
Known bioterror agents Edit
- C-Virus - A mutagen developed by merging "G" with the t-Veronica Virus, which was known for its arthropod origins. Created by Carla Radames.
- "G" - A mutagenic virus initially found in the body of Lisa Trevor; it causes numerous mutations in the body to guarantee survival from any injury. Created by William Birkin.
- "t" - A mutagen developed in the 1970s after a sample of Progenitor Virus mutated upon contact with leech DNA. Created by James Marcus.
- t-Abyss virus - A mutagenic weapon created by merging "t" with another virus known as "The Abyss"; it was used in marine B.O.W.s in 2005.
- t-Phobos virus - A mutagen that only triggered when the subject experienced fear. Created by Alex Wesker
- Plaga Type 2 - A genetically-modified parasite designed by TRICELL Africa, Inc. in 2008 and tested in Kijuju.
- Plaga Type 3 - Another genetically-modified parasite tested in Kijuju by TRICELL.
Known bioterrorist organizations Edit
- Il Veltro
- After purchasing WilPharma, TRICELL helped funding Albert Wesker in exchange for viral samples for experimentation.
- The Family
- Neo Umbrella
Known bioterrorists Edit
- Albert Wesker
- With his hands in the involvement of many events, from the Mansion Incident to the fall of Umbrella Corporation, Wesker eventually sought support from TRICELL. With their help, Wesker brought about the infection of the people of Kijuju and attempted to spread Uroboros world-wide in hopes of ruling over everyone and everything.
- Alexia Ashford
- Morpheus D. Duvall
- Frederic Downing
- Miguel Grandé
- Grandé was the president of the Republic of Bajirib. He was an avid supporter of bioterrorism and was a potential buyer for the t-Virus and G-Virus for Frederic Downing.
- Morgan Lansdale
- Jack Norman
- Norman led a group known as Il Veltro, intent on spreading fear and terror through the world through the use of bio-organic weapons. With funding and support from Morgan Lansdale, Norman and his group caused the Terragrigia Panic and infections on the ships Queen Zenobia, Queen Semiramis, and his own men on Queen Dido.
- Excella Gionne
- Ricardo Irving
- Jill Valentine (unwillingly)
- After being experimented on by Wesker and brought under his control, Jill was forced to support Irving, Excella, and Wesker in the Kijuju Autonomous Zone Incident. She was responsible for infecting at least one villager with the Uroboros under orders, as well as giving Irving a dominant-strain Plaga to use to kill Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar.
- Alex Wesker
- Former Umbrella researcher, she betrayed her "father" Oswell E. Spencer and appropriated funds and resources for her own experiments in immortality and fear using the t-Phobos Virus. Alex listed a help from Neil Fisher to determine the perfect candidate to which she would transfer her memories and be "reborn". In the end, her mutated form was killed by Barry Burton and Claire Redfield but she lived on in some capacity in Natalia Korda.
- Svetlana Belikova
- Carla Radames
- After being forcibly experimented on with her own creation, the C-Virus, Carla spread the virus through the Marhawa Academy in Singapore, as well as Edonia, Eastern Europe and Lanshiang, China. She created a B.O.W. known as HAOS, that would be able to disperse her C-Virus world-wide in an alarming rate. Carla's ultimate goal is to throw the world into complete chaos and anarchy, where she would proclaim herself as the queen of the new world.
- Derek C. Simmons
- Head of The Family, Simmons sanctioned not only the destruction of Raccoon City to hide evidence of the U.S. Government's involvement with Umbrella, but also spread the C-Virus in Tall Oaks to prevent U.S. President Adam Benford from revealing the truth. In the end, Simmons was betrayed by his very own "Ada Wong".