(Capcom's primary storyline)
By October 1998, Umbrella had collected much data on arachnid reactions to the t-Virus from the series of incidents which took place in and around Raccoon City that year. With the Latrodectus genus ("widow spiders") possessing a much stronger venom in comparison to the tarantula spiders seen in Raccoon City, they were selected as prime test examples.[excerpt 1]
The Black Widows were already being developed by Umbrella by December 1998; the company had plans to distribute them to a number of their facilities via the transport terminal in the Antarctic Base.
Like many spiders, the Black Widow possessed four pairs of legs attached to its cephalothorax, connected to the opisthosoma (abdomen) by a thin section. The Black Widow's appearance was disambiguated from other spider-based B.O.W.s by its complete lack of body hair. Like other spiders, the Black Widows would release little spiders from their abdomen if killed.
- Sumner, Christian; Shotten, Brian; Owen, Michael, eds (9 November 2005). Resident Evil Archives: Umbrella's Virus Uncovered. Translated by Zpang America, Inc.. BradyGames. ISBN 0744006554.
- ↑ Excerpt from CODE: Veronica webpage:
Rakūn ichi ni okeru ichiren no jiken de shūshū shita dēta o moto ni anburera ga tsukuriageta bau. Burakkuu~idō to iu mōdoku no kuro kumo ga moto-tai ni natte ori, jūrai ni wa mi rarenu kyōi-tekina inochiryoku o mochi, fukubu o hakai sa rete mo keikai ni ugoki mawaru. (ラクーン市における一連の事件で収集したデータをもとにアンブレラが造り上げたB.O.W.。ブラックウィドーという猛毒の黒クモが素体になっており、従来には見られぬ驚異的な生命力を持ち、腹部を破壊されても軽快に動きまわる。)
- ↑ バイオハザード コード：ベロニカ 完全版 (Japanese). Capcom Co., Ltd.. Retrieved on 2013-09-24.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Resident Evil Archives, pp.169-170
- ↑ Image of the Giant Black Widow