Shopping district west (商店街西) is a gameplay area in Resident Evil 2. Immediately following the opening scene of the game, Leon and Claire are separated on either side of the wrecked truck. This area is not visited in Leon B or Clear B, who instead explore Shopping district east.
Upon starting the game, before the area loads the following message is displayed;
"They were parted by an unescapable destiny.
In the original PlayStation version of the game there are six zombies will appear on the street as a standard, with a seventh only appearing near the gun shop if those six have not been killed. They can realistically be dodged.
There are no items to collect in this room and the next room is the Gun shop.
Resident Evil 2 Preview
The demo featured with Resident Evil: Director's Cut features its own prologue as well.
|Resident Evil 2 Preview|
|Prologue||Do you remember?|
That bizarre mystery that took place in Raccoon City?
- In Resident Evil 2, a visible street sign at the intersection of the crash shows that the street was originally named "Raccoon St." instead.
- Japanese versions of the game display the prologues in English.
- Some versions of the game do not feature the game prologue. On disc versions of the game, the prologue was put in place to mask the room loading time. It is possible that it was removed in non-disc versions due to the advanced loading speed on cartridges and hard drives.
- Tahara, Seiji (田原 誠司), ed (1998). BIOHAZARD 2 Official Guide Book. Japan: Famitsu.
- ↑ Official Guide Book, p.66.