(Capcom's primary storyline)
Edward Dewey was responsible for rear security along with Rebecca Chambers. While he was Bravo team's primary pilot, that position was taken over by Kevin Dooley during the events of the games, while Edward served as co-pilot.
Despite being a pilot, Edward is regarded as a great sniper. He tends to look after the team's younger members like Rebecca and is also the team's mechanic in conjunction with the Vehicle Specialist, Forest Speyer.
While searching for escaped fugitive Billy Coen, he was attacked by the Cerberus pack while he searched Raccoon Forest, separated from his team. Armed with his favorite rifle, his choice of weapon made it hard to fend off the charging dogs.[notes 1] Fatally-injured, Edward demonstrated enough resilience to make his way onto a nearby train - the "Ecliptic Express" - where he warned Rebecca that there were "zombies and monsters" in the forest, before dying in front of Rebecca. He was later encountered as a zombie feasting on a dead passenger.
The character of Edward Dewey has been a point of some confusion within the franchise. His only mention in the original Resident Evil comes in the form of his listing as member of S.T.A.R.S. in the English language manual (which has concept art for everyone in both the Alpha and Bravo teams, save for him) and other source materials. While presumed dead before the start of the game, he's never accounted for or even mentioned by any of the characters.
This led to the suggestion that the severed hand found by Joseph Frost in the opening cutscene was Edward's. In 1999, the demo Resident Evil Zero depicted him as dying on the Ecliptic Express with a missing hand. However, this theory was debunked when the GameCube remake, which retconned numerous events, changed the opening so that, rather than Joseph discovering the severed hand, the body of co-pilot Kevin Dooley was found. Originally, Edward's hand would have been lost in his struggle against a Cerberus pack.
- Edward Dewey's surname comes from an unused character proposed for the original Resident Evil, simply named Dewey. In contrast to Edward, who is a muscular Caucasian, the original Dewey was a thin African-American modeled after Eddie Murphy who was designed to serve as the game's comic relief.
- Edward's favorite weapon was his Heckler & Koch G3 SG/1 rifle.
- Despite his tough exterior, his hobbies included dance.
- Edward does not transform into a zombie until Rebecca and Billy must apply the emergency brakes for the Ecliptic Express. There is a unique cutscene for encountering him if Rebecca is sent to the back of the train.
- Sumner, Christian; Shotten, Brian; Owen, Michael, eds (9 November 2005). Resident Evil Archives: Umbrella's Virus Uncovered. Translated by Zpang America, Inc.. BradyGames. ISBN 0744006554.
- ↑ Excerpt from biohazard 0 KAITAISHINSHO, page 013:
"チームきっての巨漢なから趣味はダンスという異色の隊員。ヘリの操縦免許を持つが、 今回の任務においてはメインバイロットの座をクビンにゆずり、 自身は副操縦士として搭乗していた。森へ降りたのちは愛用のライフルを手に探索へ向かうも、 化け物の襲撃に遭い、 S.T.A.R.S.最初の犠牲者となる。"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Resident Evil Archives. p. 135.
- ↑ Capcom. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. (Capcom). File: Edward Dewey Profile.
- ↑ Capcom. Resident Evil Zero. (Capcom). Scene: Opening cutscene.
- ↑ biohazard 0 KAITAISHINSHO. Enterbrain. p. 013.
- ↑ Resident Evil Zero E3 2000 demo