Forest Speyer was a member of the Special Tactics And Rescue Service, an organization within the Raccoon City Police Department, serving under the S.T.A.R.S. Bravo team as the team's marksman; a similar role of his best friend, S.T.A.R.S. Alpha team's Chris Redfield. The two were friendly rivals and commonly turned target practice into competitions, with Chris generally the victor. Like Chris and Jill, Forest came from a military background.[excerpt 1]
On July 23, 1998, Bravo team was sent into the Arklay Mountains to investigate the disappearances and brutal murders of hikers. Their helicopter experienced engine failure and crashed into the forest. The R.P.D. pilot, Kevin Dooley stayed behind to find the cause of the failure.
While Rebecca Chambers and Edward Dewey searched the Raccoon forest, the rest of Bravo Team - Forest included - found an abandoned Spencer Mansion. The team split up to check the area and report back with their findings. Unbeknownst to them, Kevin  and Edward were already dead, and Rebecca was unable to reach them for another day.
Enrico Marini searched the caves (just returning from the Raccoon City Underground Laboratory), Kenneth J. Sullivan checked the west area, while Rebecca Chambers and Richard Aiken searched the Dormitory, and Forest monitored the east side.
Whilst checking the second floor East terrace, Forest was attacked and pecked to death by a number of crows.[excerpt 2] However, he reanimated as a zombie and attacked his fellow S.T.A.R.S. members before finally being put to rest.[notes 1]
In Resident Evil: Deadly Silence, an enhanced Nintendo DS port, a "Zombified" Forest is a boss in the game's unlockable "Masters of Knifing" minigame. He is also playable for the first (and perhaps ONLY) time in Deadly Silence's multiplayer game, which includes his first ever line of spoken dialog, "Let's light this candle!".
In the Resident Evil remake, an additional game mode entitled "One Dangerous Zombie" can also be unlocked. An undead Forest takes on the role of the so-called "One Dangerous Zombie", brandishing a bandolier strapped with grenades and appearing in specific areas of the Spencer Mansion until the player picks up the Helmet Key. Defensive items cannot be used, and firing upon the volatile zombie produces a devastating explosion, inevitably ending the player's game.
- It can be understandably assumed (in REmake) that the undead Forest is a Hyper Zombie, because of his running ability.
- Forest was not scripted to come back to life in the original 1996 game but appeared this way in all other versions of the first game.
- In the original game and all ports, it's hinted that he was severely injured within the Mansion and was finished off by the Crows when he fled to the East terrace for safety; this is evident by the massive blood spatter which leads outside to his corpse, as well as Barry's analysis in Jill's storyline. However, there is no evidence of this in the REmake, which is now considered to be the 'true' canon.
- In Biohazard Pachislot, the zombified Forest is capable of speech, such as begging Chris to finish him ("Chris, please, kill me.") and thanking him, making him one of the few creatures in the series to be able to speak. This, along with his character selection quote in Deadly Silence, is the only time he ever speaks. In addition, neither of these games is canon, meaning Forest is the only member of STARS who has never actually spoken.
- In the Remake, Forest is the only zombie in the game that the player cannot use a self-defense weapon on while being grabbed, thus taking some damage from Forest, via bite attack, unless the player uses the appropriate controller to shove off Forest, taking only minor damage instead.
- Capcom Co., Ltd.. Resident Evil. (1996)
- Capcom Production Studio 4. Resident Evil. (2002)
- Capcom Production Studio 3. Resident Evil Zero. (2003)
- Hamamura, Koichi, ed (2003) (in Japanese). biohazard 0 KAITAISHINSHO. Famitsu. ISBN 4-7577-1298-7.
- Sumner, Christian; Shotten, Brian; Owen, Michael, eds (9 November 2005). Resident Evil Archives: Umbrella's Virus Uncovered. Translated by Zpang America, Inc.. BradyGames. ISBN 0744006554.
- Capcom Co., Ltd.. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. (2006)
- ↑ Excerpt from biohazard 0 KAITAISHINSHO, p.012:
"完璧な仕事 ぶりに定評のある、 ブラヴォーチームの整備担当。アルファチームのクリス、 ジルとは、 入隊以前から親しい。なかでもクリスとは、プライベートでの交遊が深いほか、 射撃の腕を競い合う良きライバルであり、 署内の射撃コンテストではつねに1、 2を争っている。"
- ↑ Excerpt from Resident Evil (1996):
Barry Burton: "It looks like he was eaten by a crow or something"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Sumner, Shotten, Owen (eds). Archives. p.135
- ↑ Resident Evil
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Hamamura (ed.), KAITAISHINSHO, p.012
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Resident Evil Zero (2003), scene: "Opening"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Resident Evil Zero (2003), scene: "Edward's Death"
- ↑ Resident Evil (2002), scene: "Opening"
- ↑ Resident Evil Zero (2003), scene: "Ending"
- ↑ Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), level: "Nightmare 1"
- ↑ Biohazard Pachislot: fight Forrest