The gun is completely fictional. Ryoumura Jyoshin (the weapon designer for Biohazard) claims that he designed the handgun himself with no individual base model, though he admits that the USP was a source of aesthetic inspiration. The words "Kendo Custom Shop" can be seen engraved on the slide.
Resident Evil 4
The gun appears under the name Handgun in Resident Evil 4. It is Leon's starting weapon. However, it can still be purchased from the Merchant for 8,000₧. It uses Handgun Ammo and it takes up 6 spaces in Leon's inventory (3x2). Of all the handguns, it has the most unsteady aiming in the game. However, it is the cheapest to upgrade. This weapon is always shown during cutscenes where Leon uses a handgun.
The Handgun's Exclusive upgrade multiplies it's critical headshot ability by 5 times. This makes the gun ideal for shooting ganados in the head.
The Handgun appears in the Shooting Range mini-game. It is part of the '"Sniping" weapons set. Here it has a capacity of 16 rounds, default firepower, and reloading speed 1.47.
The gun also appears in the Mercenaries mini-game as part of Albert Wesker's load out. His Handgun is fully upgraded and comes equipped with a removable Silencer. The Silencer takes up 2x1 blocks of inventory. With the Silencer equipped, the sound of each shot is noticeably dampened. Using it causes Ganado to not be automatically alerted to Wesker's presence. This allows the player to covertly take out Ganado until one of them raises the alarm. However, the Silencer will still keep the Garrador from hearing the gunshots in Stage 2.
Tune up chart
Fire Speed and Reload Speed are given in seconds.
The Handgun costs 198,000₧ to upgrade.
|Level||Fire Power||Cost||Fire Speed||Cost||Reload Speed||Cost||Capacity||Cost|
|Exclusive||x5 Critical Headshot Rate||57,000₧|
- Examine: Handgun
"A standard 9mm handgun."
- Fully upgraded Examine: Handgun
"No longer your average handgun, it's chance of critical headshots is increased by 5x."
- Examine: Handgun w/ Silencer
"A silenced version of the custom-tuned 9mm handgun. It's chance of critical headshots is increased by 5x."
"Increases the chance of critical by 5 times."
- Due to the Handgun's light damage, it is not ideal for taking out tougher enemies, Ganados with masks, or bosses. Against the regular Ganado, this weapon is great for headshots.
- The likelihood for a critical headshot is estimated to be somewhere between 5-10%. With the exclusive upgrade, the Handgun can presumably have a 25-50% chance for a critical headshot.
- A critical headshot will instantly kill the enemy. The plagas will still appear, but less often. Enemy plagas are also affected by the critical headshot chance.
- The critical headshot Exclusive of the weapon is not always consistent, so be prepared to shoot an enemy's head several times.
- It is worth noting that the Handgun will usually use less ammo than the Blacktail or the Red9 if the player is always aiming for the head.
- The handgun is the most unstable handgun (aside from the Red9 without the stock) in the game. This can make it difficult to perform headshots at long range or even medium range if the player isn't being careful.
- The best way to master this weapon is to practice in the Shooting Range (use the Sniping set). With infinite ammo, the player can keep practicing with the Handgun until he/she is able to cope with its unsteadiness and score headshots at long range.
ARMS magazine and replica
The January '06 issue of ARMS, a Japanese airsoft magazine, contained a special which included articles about the origin and replication the weapon. The story explaining creation of Leon's handgun is written by an ARMS magazine author and is noted to have no connection to the story. However, the story was based on interviews with weapons designer Ryoumura Jyoshin; so arguably, to an extent the general scenario could be seen as expanded canon loosely based on Jyoshin's personal story for the gun.
According to the story, Leon visits Joe Kendo and requests to have a handgun built for him before leaving for his mission to investigate Ashley's kidnapping. Kendo considers Leon's request for a tactical handgun with certain parts and surprises him with a completely original design. After seeing it, Leon approves of Kendo's custom creation. Leon names it the "Silver Ghost" to match his view of himself, a spirit pulled out from his body. Leon also inserts his own skull mark into the grip.
There was also an article about the making of a replica of the weapon by the staff of ARMS in conjunction with Ryoumura Jyoshin.
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Wesker is seen using his suppressed version again during Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, though an explanation as to how he obtained it is never given. It used by him during the Umbrella's End scenarios under the name Silenced Handgun.
Resident Evil Degeneration
In Resident Evil: Degeneration, Leon uses it for most of his battles. The laser module is changed to a flashlight.
- "Silver Ghost" is the unofficial name of Leon's handgun, and is referred to as such outside RE4.
- In the PlayStation 2 version of Resident Evil 4, part of the handgun's barrel is missing. When equipped with a suppressor, the missing part reappears.
- The handgun appears in the first teaser trailer for Resident Evil 5, where Chris uses one outfitted with a compensator. It is left out in the final version of the game.
- Chris is using this weapon as some of his attacks in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.
- The likeness of the weapon is used for the Resident Evil: The Deck Building Game card Silver Ghost.