"I have a bad habit of embellishing stories, but I don't need to do it this time. At present, Raccoon City is one giant freakshow."
Kevin Ryman was an officer of the Raccoon City Police Department. He survived the Raccoon City Destruction Incident in 1998, escaping on October 1 along with seven other survivors who had met days prior.
Sometime between 1996 and 1998, Kevin had applied for the Department's special forces unit, S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics and Rescue Service), but failed the screening test twice, likely due to his carefree attitude.[Note 1] However, he seemed determined to study and apply once again.Cite error: Closing </ref> missing for <ref> tag. Kevin's fellow officer, Chris Redfield, had also won one of these events.
Kevin was a regular at Jack's Bar, often catching the game on TV, drinking to excess, and challenging anyone to a game of darts. Kevin had been at the bar on the night of September 24, 1998, as per usual, having a drink and watching the news report on the riot at the stadium earlier that day.
Raccoon City OutbreakEdit
On September 24, 1998, the t-Virus that had plagued Raccoon City and the Arklay Mountains had reached critical levels. The local police force became aware of the situation and prepared a citywide evacuation. A roadblock to prevent an invasion at J's Bar and the surrounding businesses would be assembled too late, which ultimately led to Will, the working bartender, being assaulted and bitten by an invading zombie, which forced the panicked patrons, which included Kevin, to flee before the bar was overrun.
Some time later, Kevin would reach the Raccoon Police Department with the hope of reuniting with his fellow police officers. With the majority of the officers dead, infected, or stranded elsewhere, only five of his fellow officers had managed to avoid similar fates. After cooperating with the other survivors to aid in securing their safe passage out of the police station, Kevin, his surviving J's Bar cohorts, and Rita managed to escape in a police van as the police department was being overrun by the undead.
After the Raccoon City Incident, Kevin is seen talking to someone on a gas station payphone. He says that he has a fresh start with a new job in Miami and compliments the weather, saying that it should be fun. He then jumps on his Motorbike and rides toward the horizon.
Personality and RelationshipsEdit
Kevin is an all-around likeable guy, he is a dyed-in-the-wool optimist who doesn't dwell on petty matters.[Excerpt 1] Kevin likes having a good time and often smokes and drinks. Despite Kevin's general attitude, he does not like being emotional and can be impatient with others.[Excerpt 2]
Kevin is laid-back and carefree to excess, often acting purely on impulse without any thought. His impulsive actions, such as running an extensive tab at Jack's Bar and drinking at work, have garnered him a somewhat negative reputation. Likewise, Kevin also proves to be fairly unreliable with basic tasks like cleaning and personal management.
Kevin has a strong interest in sports and cars. He's an avid fan of baseball, basketball, football, and racing.
Kevin appears to have had some knowledge regarding his then soon-to-be co-worker, Leon Scott Kennedy, but the extent of their relationship (or lack thereof) is unknown. He was close with his fellow officers at the precinct, namely Jean, Aaron, and Fred. He also held Officer Marvin Branagh in high regard.
Skills and AbilitiesEdit
Kevin possesses superior athletic abilities, being in top physical shape and able to fight in close quarters. A self-described "hell of a shot", Kevin is also able to use handguns with heightened accuracy.
Kevin has a fairly large and up-to-date knowledge of cars and is skilled enough to race competitively.
- ↑ Excerpt from the Perfect Capture Guide, p.004:
An officer working with the Raccoon Police. He possesses superior athletic abilities and is an outstanding marksman (previously winning a marksman competition). Easy-going by nature, Kevin is a likeable guy who doesn't dwell on the small things. However, he has failed the S.T.A.R.S. screening test twice, likely as a result of his carefree nature. (ラクーン市警に勤める警官。運動能力に優れ、射撃の腕も抜群（過去に射撃大会で優勝）。根っからの楽天家で、些細なことにこだわらない好漢。だが、その性格が災いしたのか、S.T.A.R.S.選抜試験には２度も落ちている。)
- ↑ Kevin's adlib during gameplay:
"Your timing sucks!"
- ↑ S.T.A.R.S. was only active between 1996 and 1998, disbanding after the incident at the Spencer Mansion.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Perfect Capture Guide, p.004.
- ↑ Kirkthornton.com, VO Resume (Retrieved 2-27-2017).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak, S.T.A.R.S. Guide (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, S.T.A.R.S. office examination.
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak, Dart score chart.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Resident Evil Outbreak, Credit slip (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak, Kevin: Opening (Outbreak) (Resident Evil Outbreak cutscene).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, Kevin's Epilogue.
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak, Old Cigarette Box (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, Cigarette Warning (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, Talk to Plants (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, "Hedonism" (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak, Black list memo (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, Kevin's Bottle (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, "Ultimate Clean" (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, "Make Up for Loss" (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, Resume envelope (item).
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, Jean's Memo (file).
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Resident Evil Outbreak, Racing Flag (item).