The lighter is a recurring item in the Resident Evil series. It is mostly used to light up fireplaces or burn flammable objects serving as locks, among other things. Sometimes the lighter will be empty at first, and fluid must be found before use. Some characters have their own lighters, but frequently they must be found.
"Some fluid is left."
- In Resident Evil, Chris starts with a lighter as his standard item, and Jill finds it in a bedroom in the the Spencer Mansion. It has "LIGHTER of Lighter" and a small banner underneath decorating it.
- In Resident Evil 2, Leon starts with one as his standard item, and Claire has to find one in the RPD. This lighter seems to have the RPD logo on the side. When Leon examines it in the Demo version of the game, he will say "A Zippo lighter. The initials "L.K." are engraved on it", when examined in the retail version of the game Leon will state that it's "An oil lighter".
- In Resident Evil Outbreak and Its sequel the lighter appears in most levels. It has several uses such as igniting Molotov Cocktails, use it to read messages in the walls (that leads the player to weapons hidden in secret places), light dark places (to find weapons as well) and David King can tape it with a pesticide spray to make a Home made Flamethrower (which it will be his starting item in his item slot).
"An oil lighter. You can use it to light a dark area."
- In Resident Evil CODE:Veronica, Claire starts with a lighter as her standard item that was a gift from her brother. It can later be exchanged to Rodrigo for a lockpick, and if later Chris saves him from the Gulp Worm, he gives it to him. In this game it can be used as a mobile light fixture, with the added benefit of keeping bats at bay.
- In Resident Evil Zero, Billy starts with a lighter as a standard item, but has to find the oil in the Umbrella Research Center.
"It's a brass lighter coated with gold."
- In the remake of Resident Evil when examining the lighter on you can just about make out the words "LIGHTER of Lighter" and a small banner underneath decorating it, although that isn't what it says when Jill examines it, which is the quotation shown above. The lighter Jill picks up belonged to George Trevor that was a gift from his wife and a file can be found in the mansion on it. Chris' lighter is his own, he will say that "It's a brass lighter coated with gold" upon checking it. Combining the Fuel Canteen with the lighter allows you to burn incapacitated zombie corpses to stop the progress of creating a Crimson Head.
Resident Evil 3: NemesisEdit
"An oil lighter"
In Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, the Lighter can be used twice. First time, it can be used at the Residential area alley for making access to the back alley. And the second - is at the Cemetery cabin for burning the firewood for further accessing the operations room. After second use, it can be discarded.At the barricade alley in the Uptown, there is the door, bound with a rope, that reads next message: "It's been bound tight with rope and won't open. The rope seems to be soaked with oil". After using the lighter, the rope will burn and the access further will be granted. The second time, where the lighter can be used is at the cabin near the cemetery. There is a fireplace inside the cabin, which reads: "There's firewood which could catch on fire. Wind is blowing in from the back of the fireplace." After burning the firewood, the brick wall can be broken by the Iron Pipe.
- Koichi Hamamura, ed (2001) (in Japanese). BIOHAZARD CODE:Veronica Kanzenban Kaitai Shinsho. Famitsu. ISBN 4-7577-0422-4.