Osmund Saddler is the final boss in Resident Evil 4.
Osmund Saddler is capable of eight combat moves in Resident Evil 4.
Note: All names are provided by the Biohazard 4 Kaitai Shinsho guide.
|Vertical tentacle swing (触手縦振り Shokushu tate furi )||800|
|Horizontal tentacle swing (触手横振り Shokushu yoko furi )||800|
|Rear tentacle attack (背中触手攻撃 Senaka shokushu kōgeki )||400|
|Steel frame attack (鉄骨攻撃 Tekkotsu kōgeki )||1000|
|Throw grab (つかみ投げ Tsukami nage )||900|
|One leg trample (片脚踏みつけ Kata ashi fumitsuke )||1100|
|Two leg trample (両脚踏みつけ Ryōkyaku fumitsuke )||2000|
|Kick (蹴り Keri )||800|
Boss level strategyEdit
Saddler's vulnerable areas are his mutant eyes on his leg appendages, the eye in his mouth, and his original body, however he is immune to Incendiary Grenades and Flash Grenades. Saddler does not follow the player onto the bridges that drop. Instead, he will leap to the player to clear the gap between the two catwalks.
Saddler keeps his mouth closed, which protects his mouth eye, but after receiving so much damage he will stagger to the ground and leave it exposed. During that state, the player can use the action command "CLIMB" to make Leon jump onto his head and stab him in the eye. He will recover back to his active state after the prompt or after a single shot to his mouth eye.
There is an eye of each of his four legs. The eyes will periodically blink shut, which renders them invulnerable. Each eye can damaged to stagger Saddler twice, because after the second time, the eye will be destroyed. If all four of Saddler's knee eyes are destroyed, he will keep his mouth eye exposed while active and it can be damaged to cause him to be staggered.
After dealing some considerable amount of damage to Saddler, Ada will throw the special rocket launcher to Leon. Using it will kill Saddler instantly via a special cutscene; however, missing with it results in a scene where Saddler knocks Leon off the balcony and a Game-over screen.
Saddler will leave 100,000₧ behind and will have different cutscene deaths that also leave his corpse in a certain state depending on how the player kills him. Doing damage will leave his corpse as is, using a normal Rocket Launcher will leave his corpse showing signs of disintegrating, and using the Rocket Launcher (Special) will leave his corpse charred black and smoking.
- When Saddler falls, players can use a high powered weapon to shoot his eye and deal more damage than using the "CLIMB" action. It is also possible to damage him and then use the action prompt if done fast enough.
- Since the eyes can blink fairly quickly, it is advisable to use either a Shotgun or a TMP to shoot the eyes when they are open.
- Alternatively, one Hand Grenade or a shot from a Mine Thrower to Saddler's original body is enough to stagger him.
- The explosive barrels will also instantly incapacitate Saddler if he is caught in their explosions. Also, the two platforms near the end of the walkways have steel bars hanging from a crane - if timed right, they can hit Saddler to knock him down.
- It is possible to kill Saddler by simply unloading on his original body, but it is not recommended; Saddler can take a frightening amount of damage if his main eye is not targeted.
- A quick method of killing Saddler is to use a semi automatic rifle and a rocket launcher. Hit Saddler in any of his eyes on the legs, and when he is incapacitated, hit it in the main eye with the launcher. You have to aim carefully.
- Normally, Saddler attacks with his various limbs (his spider-like legs, his bladed tails, and his horned head). If the player moves to the opposite side of the walkway from him, Saddler may throw steel bars at Leon, forcing the player to input the correct button commands to dodge.
- Players do not have to use the Rocket Launcher (Special) if Ada tosses it to them. It is possible to do enough damage to kill Saddler without it, though it may take a while.
- Like Krauser, Saddler is incredibly susceptible to the standard knife attack. If his attacks are successfully dodged and the player can keep up the barrage of knife slashes, he will be very easily defeated in well under a minute's time.
- If you choose the firearm route, it will take the player a lot of ammunition and health to draw out his Plaga eye and stab it. Use the Bowgun and shoot at his head to save ammo.
- Several of Saddler's attacks will initiate Quick-Time Events that must be completed to avoid high damage or instant death:
- If the player doesn't press the correct combination when he strikes down, he will push Ada onto the floor and snap her neck, resulting in an instant death.
- If the player does not type the right button combination when he swings his tentacle arm at Ada, the player must then shake the joystick to make Saddler release Ada, otherwise he will impale her with his tentacle spike, resulting in an instant death.
- If the player does not press the correct button combination when he draws back his hand, he will strike Ada with the palm of his hand (as he did to Leon in the cutscene before the fight). This does not result in an instant death, but will drain all the health except for a little, after which any hit will kill Ada.
- If Saddler is continually shot with bullet-firing weapons such as the Blacktail or the TMP, he will divert all the bullets that were shot into his body to his hand and shoot them back at Ada just like a normal firearm. To avoid this, try to fire in short bursts or use the Bowgun.
- He is able to jump from the bottom floor to the top floor in one jump, clearing the railing.
- ↑ Biohazard 4 Kaitai Shinsho Kaitei Ban, pages 166-167