It is the most powerful handgun in the game and can be fitted with a stock to help Leon steady his aim. It also is notable for having an antique appearance.
The Red9 becomes available for purchase for 14,000₧ during Chapter 2-2 (you can purchase it at the end of chapter 2-1 if you return to the underground tunnel before entering the Church). It takes up 8 spaces (4x2) of Leon's inventory, making it the bulkiest handgun in the game. The Red9 uses Handgun Ammo and does the most damage among all the handguns (5 after exclusive upgrade), but is outdone in all other areas.
An equipable stock is first available in Chapter 2-3 for 4,000₧, which takes up an additional 3 spaces (3x1) and makes the handgun even bulkier. It reduces the Red9's recoil and steadies its normally shaky aim.
Tune up chartEdit
Fire Speed and Reload Speed are given in seconds.
Some stats differ between the Gamecubes US and Japanese release, the PAL release, and the PS2, PC, Wii, and HD ports, where its exclusive Firepower upgrade is 6.5 instead of 5.0.
It takes a total of 331,000₧ to buy and fully upgrade the Red9. It will total to 335,000₧ with buying the stock.
|Level||Firing Power||Cost||Firing Speed||Cost||Reload Speed||Cost||Capacity||Cost|
- Examine Description: Red9:
"A powerful 9mm handgun."
- Examine Description: Red9 w/Stock:
"A powerful 9mm handgun with stock."
- Examine Description: Stock (Red9):
"A stock for the 9mm Red9 handgun. Absorbs and spreads out 80% of the recoil forces for increased shooting stability and comfort."
- Merchant comment:
"Ahh... A choice of an avid gun collector. It's a nice gun Stranger."
- Because of the Red9's high firing power, accuracy, and stability with a stock attached, the gun can be used as a pseudo-rifle for taking precise powerful headshots from a distance and for certain actions such as freeing Ashley from her trap. However, it cannot equip a scope, meaning the player will have to use a rifle or another method to take down the Regeneradors in later chapters.
- Because this gun is so powerful, it is very good at saving ammunition. This means the gun is easier to use in boss battles and, with the stock, it is easier to aim at boss's weak points.
- The Red9 is better at taking enemies out one at a time, whereas the Blacktail and Punisher are superior when taking on groups of enemies.
- With the stock, the Red9 takes up the most space in the player's inventory than any other handgun. To save space during the earlier chapters, it might not be necessary to purchase the stock immediately but to wait until the player is at the castle to purchase it. Without the stock is still takes up more space then other non special handguns and it's long and medium range accuracy is comparable to the default handgun
The Mercenaries 3DEdit
The Red9 is available for 15 3DS "play coins" as a special weapon, along with the two-way grenade launcher. It is one of the most powerful weapons in the game (being able to defeat most enemies in one shot to the head) but suffers from low starting ammo, a long reload, and strangely, only a three-round magazine. It is recommendable to equip it with a fully leveled handgun skill to increase critical hit ratio.
Because of the low magazine size and long reload, players can easily find themselves taking heavy damage in situations where headshots are difficult or against enemies with shields who generally need to be shot in the foot, or enemies with face-masks and players may find themselves relying heavily on the grenade launcher; therefore, it is preferable not to use it in later missions, especially against Zealots who can absorb more than one shot to the face.
Alternatively, it can be unlocked by acquiring 15 play coins. (Players are only allowed up to 10 a day, so you can either take 1000 steps with the stepometer on the 3DS one day and 500 the next, or use the date change exploit to change the date and get more and do 1500 or more steps to purchase it).
- If the player damages Luis too many times in the Cabin Battle, a cutscene will depict Luis uttering "Adios Leon" and then shooting Leon twice with his Red9, resulting in a game over.
- In Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Sergei Vladimir is seen using a Red9 in a cutscene. However, it is not available during gameplay.