Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (known in Japan as Biohazard 5: Alternative Edition) is a re-release of Resident Evil 5. It was released in Japan on 17 and 18 February 2010 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 respectively, and released on March 9 in North America and Europe.
The Japanese region had an actual updated version of Resident Evil 5 with the new content on disc, a new title screen, and a new movie opening. Overseas simply had a package that had regular Resident Evil 5 discs and pass codes for all the DLC content.
On March 26, 2015, an overseas updated version was released on PC (Microsoft Windows) exclusively on the Steam platform, utilising the Steamworks severs and replacing the previous GFWL Version which relied on Games for Windows Live for online play. This contained all the new content as part of the game download, and has a new title screen and opening. The SteamWorks PC Version allows user to import their data from the older GFWL PC Version. The DX10 and 3D Support were removed, and several bugs existed on released and region lock remains intact.
The actual Gold Edition version was the basis for the 2016 Nvidia Shield TV port while the PlayStation 4/Xbox One are ports of the regular game with DLC.
In addition to the regular Resident Evil 5 and all its features and Downloadable content released by now, several other new features will be included, all available as Downloadable content for the owners of the regular Resident Evil 5. These include:
- A Revisited Mercenaries mode ("The Mercenaries Reunion"), bringing in new characters and costumes, using the maps of the normal The Mercenaries mode. Each of the eight original maps are slightly modified, including new locations for Time Bonuses; Combo Bonuses; new enemies and variants of the enemies.
- Two different Costume Packs
- A new Figurine Pack
- A new scenario known as Lost in Nightmares
- A new scenario known as Desperate Escape
- PlayStation Move support
- Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition on Steam.
- Untold Stories Bundle DLC on Steam.
- Resident Evil 5 on Nvidia Shield Android TV.
- ↑ Biohazard 5 Alternate Edition Official Website (Japanese). Capcom. Retrieved on December 17, 2009.