The Multiverse concept was imminent as the series became more and more popular, it started having novel adaptations, comics, mangas and live action movies, some of these that are not published or produced by Capcom occur in a different alternate reality.
Although unlike other companies like Marvel and DC Comics, CAPCOM does not have an official universe (reality) listing nor do they acknowledge them aside from their own continuities.
The Mainstream universe (tentative) is Capcom's official canon. It encompasses all console games bar Operation Raccoon City and Mercenaries 3D, and also includes the novel BIOHAZARD Wicked North Sea and the CGI films other than BIOHAZARD 4D EXECUTER, which is debatable. There are at least 48 entries in the canon franchise, including guidebooks that contain in-universe documents written just for those books.
The main canon follows a concept known as Bio-real, when compared to other adaptations such as "King's" comics which includes "fantasy" elements.
- Resident Evil (1996); Resident Evil: Director's Cut (1997); Resident Evil (2002) and Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (2006) all contain canonical elements, though the 2002 remake and its remasters should take "precedence" over the others. Neither Chris or Jill is the canonical scenario; the canon is an unseen third scenario where Chris and Jill both investigate the mansion. Later series entries acknowledge certain aspects (e.g. Rebecca and Barry's survival is confirmed, and Jill is described as having destroyed the Tyrant on the helipad.)
- Inside of BIO-HAZARD (1997) - Guidebook for the first game containing in-universe documents. Due to predating RE2 and REmake, facts within the documents may have since been retconned.
- Resident Evil 2 (1998) and Resident Evil 2 (TBA) - Like the above, neither the Leon A/Claire B or Claire A/Leon B paths are fully canon, though later games acknowledge certain aspects (e.g. Sherry being infected; Ada injured by the Tyrant).
- BIO HAZARD The Wicked North Sea (1998)
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) - Again, the canon path can only be suggested through later descriptions, with Nikolai's apparent survival suggesting Barry rescued Jill in the end.
- Resident Evil Survivor (2000)
- Resident Evil CODE:Veronica (2000) and Resident Evil CODE:Veronica X (2001)
- BIOHAZARD CODE:Veronica ORIGINAL STORY (2001) - Benny Matsuyama novelization
- Wesker's Report (2000)
- Resident Evil Survivor 2 CODE:Veronica (2001) - Note that this story takes place within a dream, though the files themselves have some validity in the 'real world'.
- Wesker's Report II (2002) - Diary released online to advertise the 2002 remake.
- biohazard (2002) - Novelization of the remake by Benny Matsuyama, found in the biohazard kaitaishinsho guide.
- Chris Redfield biography - in-universe biography by Benny Matsuyama, found in the biohazard kaitaishinsho guide.
- Jill Valentine biography, found in the biohazard kaitaishinsho guide.
- "Emergency report" - in-universe report set after the events of the 2002 remake, found in the biohazard kaitaishinsho guide.
- Resident Evil: Dead Aim (2002)
- Resident Evil Zero (2002)
- biohazard 0 - Benny Matsuyama novelization found in the biohazard 0 KAITAISHINSHO guide.
- Resident Evil Outbreak (2003)
- Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 (2004)
- Resident Evil Outbreak File 3 (never released)
- Resident Evil 4 (2005)
- biohazard 4 Incubate (2005) - A "diary" explaining the backstory to the village in Resident Evil 4.
- biohazard 4 (2005) - Benny Matsuyama novelization in the biohazard 4 kaitaishinsho guide.
- Report about Ada (2005) - Extra short in the biohazard 4 kaitaishinsho guide.
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007) - Only the scenarios which are new and not retellings are canonical.
- Wesker's Extra Report (2007) - A booklet that came with the Japanese copies of Umbrella Chronicles.
- BIOHAZARD UMBRELLA CHRONICLES: Prelude to the Fall (2007) - Two-part manga prequel to the "Umbrella's End" and "Dark Legacy" scenarios of Umbrella Chronicles.
- Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)
- Angela's Diary (2008) - DVD extra for Degeneration.
- BSAA Remote Desktop (2008) - RE5 ARG campaign
- Adam's Blog (2008) - RE5 ARG campaign taking the form of a web blog.
- Resident Evil 5 (2009)
- BIOHAZARD 5 (2009) - Benny Matsuyama novelization
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (2010)
- Resident Evil: The Marhawa Desire (2011-2013)
- Resident Evil: Revelations - Extended Trailer (2011) - A trailer for Revelations which is its own story.
- Resident Evil: Revelations (2012)
- Jessica's Report (2012)
- Resident Evil: Damnation (2012)
- Las Plagas: Organisms of War (2012)
- Resident Evil 6 (2012)
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (2015)
- BIOHAZARD heavenly island (2015-2017)
- BIOHAZARD THE STAGE (2015)
- Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps (2016)
- MUSICAL BIOHAZARD ~ Voice of Gaia ~ (2016)
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (2017)
- Resident Evil: Vendetta (2017)
- BIOHAZARD THE EXPERIENCE (2017)
- BIOHAZARD VENDETTA : Z Infected Experience (2017)
The Perry universe encompasses a series of seven novels written by S.D. Perry:
- Resident Evil: Zero Hour (2004)
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy (1998)
- Resident Evil: Caliban Cove (1998)
- Resident Evil: City of the Dead (1999)
- Resident Evil: Nemesis (2000)
- Resident Evil: Underworld (1999)
- Resident Evil Code: Veronica (2001)
The Anderson universe encompasses a series of six films largely both written and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. There have been discrepancies over the years regarding Apocalypse, and it should now be considered that information exclusive to props is non-canon.
- Resident Evil (2002)
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
- Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
- Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)
- Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)
- Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017)
The Reboot universe encompasses the untitled Resident Evil film produced by Constantin Film.
The DeCandido universe consists of three novelizations of the Anderson films, with a significant inclusion of original elements.
The Makino universe consists of his two-part Umbrella Chronicles novelizations and his two CGI film novelizations.
- Biohazard The Umbrella Chronicles SIDE A (2007)
- Biohazard The Umbrella Chronicles SIDE B (2008)
- Biohazard DAMNATION (2012)
- BIOHAZARD VENDETTA (2017)
The Shirley universe consists of a single entry, the movie adaptation of Resident Evil: Retribution. This universe is an amalgamation of the Anderson and DeCandido universes.
The Waggoner universe consists of a single entry, the movie adaptation of Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.
The WildStorm consists of four comic book series, encompassing nineteen issues in total.
- Resident Evil: The Official Comic Magazine (1998-1999)
- Resident Evil: Fire and Ice (2000-2001)
- Resident Evil Code: Veronica (2001)
- Resident Evil Vol 2 (2009-2011)
The Marvel universe consists of a single comic which prequels the events of Resident Evil.
Earth-30847 (Marvel vs Capcom) Edit
The Marvel Vs Capcom universe, officially known as Earth-30847 in accordance to Marvel's universe listing, is the Reality were the Marvel characters coexists with the Capcom characters. As part of the Resident Evil Multiverse and much like other Marvel realities, their events are canon only to their reality, and have nothing to do with the games primary universe, novels and such.
The Marvel vs Capcom universe consists of several cross-over games featuring Marvel Comics and Capcom characters.
- Marvel vs. Capcom (1998)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (2002)
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (2011)
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011)
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (2017)
The 1.5 universe covers Capcom's original idea for the "Mainstream" universe prior to Noboru Sugimura and Flagship's involvement. It consists of:
Monolith Soft (Namco ✕ Capcom X Sega)Edit
The Monolith Soft universe consists of numerous Capcom and Namco characters living in several interconnected dimensions. It consists of:
- biohazard 0 (2003)
- BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE (1999)
- BIOHAZARD 3 SUPPLEMENTAL EDITION (1999)
- BIOHAZARD CODE:Veronica (2000)
"Flagship Drama Albums"Edit
These five drama albums were written by Flagship to expand on the Resident Evil 2 story, though are themselves outside of game canon. Their timeline also accepts the first two games as canon.
- Resident Evil (1996)
- Fate of Raccoon City VOL.1 (1998)
- Resident Evil 2 (1998)
- Fate of Raccoon City VOL.2 (1998)
- Fate of Raccoon City VOL.3 (1998)
- The Little Runaway Sherry (1999)
- Ada the female spy lives (1999)
Makoba Village TragedyEdit
The Gaiden universe consists of the original Resident Evil game; Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil Gaiden.
Operation Raccoon CityEditResident Evil: Operation Raccoon City only, which was developed by Slant Six Games before their close down. It is an alternate take on the canon story-lines of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3, players can influence the outcome at the end of each scenario, with two choices per each. New additions in this alternate reality include the interfering Umbrella Wolfpack team and the US Government based Echo Six team.
Rose Blank was a fan fiction novel which won a competition to be officially published.
BIOHAZARD to the LibertyEdit
BIOHAZARD to the Liberty was a fan fiction novel which won a competition to be officially published.
BIO HAZARD The Beginning was a licensed novel released in 1997 as a prequel to Resident Evil. Its heavily-altered English translation was used as a basis for S.D. Perry's novel series, including the characters Billy Rabbitson, and Priscilla and Becky McGee.
The Confidential Report consists the original Resident Evil game; Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil Confidential Report, the mobile phone game. This game is rated T for Teen.
BAKAHAZA is a parody game based on the original game, but with the roles instead being played by the cast of Bakabon.