(Capcom's primary storyline)
Richard Aiken was a member of the Special Tactics And Rescue Service, serving as the S.T.A.R.S. Bravo team communications expert.[notes 1] On a personal level, Richard is described as being a "positive, sweet guy", who, despite his relatively young age, is "surprisingly cool-headed and calm under pressure". He always greeted new S.T.A.R.S members warmly. His weapon of choice was his customized assault shotgun.
Before the start of the July 23 mission to investigate the mysterious deaths in the Arklay Mountains, Richard was entrusted with taking care of the new recruit, Rebecca Chambers. When Bravo Team was stranded in Raccoon Forest, the team was attacked and Richard, along with most of his teammates, managed to make their way to an apparently abandoned Spencer Mansion, but scattered when they found it filled with undead.
Richard found Rebecca sleeping in a remote bedroom in the nearby dormitory. Richard comforted the youngest member, assuaging her fears and gaining her assistance in an attempt to locate Enrico Marini, their captain, in the hopes of making a plan to escape the mansion or summon help.
The two proceeded throughout several areas of the mansion and grounds, desperately seeking Marini. Eventually, the two were attacked by a giant snake. While they were successful in driving the beast away, Richard took Yawn's final attack to spare Rebecca. Richard was bitten on the side and thrown through the air before the beast slithered away.
Before he died, Richard gave his short-wave radio to his fellow S.T.A.R.S. members. The radio, however, was broken and could only be used to receive S.T.A.R.S. Alpha team's pilot Brad Vickers's transmissions.
In the GameCube remake of the game, Richard can die in four different ways:
- If the player takes too long looking for the Antivenom, he dies from the Yawn's venom. This was the only cause of death in the original game.
- If Chris Redfield gives him the serum on time, Aiken will be eaten by a Neptune, saving Chris from it.
- If Jill Valentine saves him, then he will sacrifice himself to the Yawn to stop it from killing her.
- If Jill grabs the death mask before Yawn is defeated and leaves the room, Richard, will stay behind and is killed.
In Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine will find him with Rebecca Chambers injured by Yawn. He eventually dies of poison off-screen.
It should be noted that all of Richard's possible deaths are a result of self-sacrifice; poisoned by the Yawn to save Rebecca and eaten to save Jill or Chris. This carries over into Biohazard: Pachislot, where he can sacrifice himself to save Jill (possibly Chris) from various monsters.
In the novel The Umbrella Conspiracy, Richard is found by Chris Redfield and Rebecca Chambers already dead from the venom.
- In the REmake, if the player managed to get the radio from Richard and head out to the Guard House, Chris will receive a garbled message on his radio from Albert Wesker, mentioning something about a "monster in chains" as well as the woods outside the mansion; Jill gets the same message from Barry Burton.
- A letter can be found in Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles where he explains why he became a S.T.A.R.S. member.
- Richard is one of the playable characters in the multiplayer mode in the Nintendo DS remake of the original game, Resident Evil: Deadly Silence.
- Richard's T-shirt under his vest doesn't have the S.T.A.R.S emblem on the left sleeve, and instead it has the R.P.D emblem on the right sleeve; but in Resident Evil Zero opening he has S.T.A.R.S. emblem on his T-shirt.
- Richard appeared in a rare promotional comic called Resident Evil Vol 1 1, a story that follows Richard's quest for survival shortly before the events of the original game. The comic uses the same cover image as the game. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually Richard on the cover, not Chris Redfield.
- ↑ Excerpt from biohazard 0 kaitaishinsho:
"ブラヴォーチームに所属する若手隊員で、 明朗快活な好男子。周囲への配慮がきき面倒見が良いため、 隊の新人レベッカのサポート役をまかされており、 今回が初出動となる彼女のことを誰よりも気づかっている。愛用の武器はショットガンだが、 任務中は戦闘に参加するよりも、 通信技師として補助にまわることが多い。"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 biohazard 0**キャラクター紹介**. Capcom. Archived from the original on 2008-10-17.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 biohazard 0 kaitaishinsho. Enterbrain. p. 012.
- ↑ Capcom. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. (Capcom Co., Ltd.). File: Richard Aiken's Letter.