(Unique game aspects not part of story canon)
The Special Stage is the only minigame for Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. It is unlocked by completing all chapters in the game. The icon for the stage appears in the main select scenario menu as a smaller photo with "???" marks on it in the lower left corner of the screen.
There is no HUD during the game. The players plays as an unidentified character (who uses Rebecca's voice when killed) equipped with only the Handgun, and will die in only one hit. The game involves fighting off 10 waves of enemies, as indicated by the counter that will be in the lower left corner of the screen.
Each round starts off in a stationary view of a lab while zombies reveal themselves then retreat. All zombies die in one hit. Some zombies explode when killed for no reason. Then the view turns to the right and for every zombie the player missed, that amount will come running down the hall and attempt to attack the player. The final wave has no zombies in the first part, and instead of turning right to the hallway, the screen turns left and a single zombie crawls out of a vent. This one will slowly walk to the player and can only be killed by a head shot.
If the player kills the final zombie, a brief scene players where still in first person view, the character walks forward and lays down in the structure the last zombie came out of. There are no rewards or grade screen upon completing or failing the game. However, in the PS3 Version of the game, an Achievement/Trophy is awarded to the player once the stage is completed.
For waves one through nine, there is certain amount of each zombie behavioral type, but the order and where they appear on screen during the wave is random.
- Pokes head out - The zombie pokes only its head from behind the counter and then ducks back down after a second
- Crawls on floor - The zombie crawls very quickly from the left side to the right side of the screen in front of the counter. Its shuffling can be heard before it appears on screen.
- Runs on counter - The zombies runs across the counter from left to right.
- Runs close to screen - The zombies runs across the area very close to the camera so only its legs and lower body can be seen. It's moan is heard before it appears.
- Pokes head out on sides - These behave like the other ones that poke their head out, but these will appear either at the very left end or right end of the screen.
- Turns around - The zombie runs from the left side to the center of the screen then circles to turn around and run back the way it came.
- Pokes head out and runs - The zombie pokes its head out from the very end of the left side and runs from behind the counter. Only its head is visible as it goes across the screen.
- Two heads at the same time - Two zombies poke their heads out from the very top and bottom of the screen.
|Wave||Pokes head out||Crawls on floor||Runs on counter||Runs close to screen||Pokes head out on sides||Turns around||Pokes head out and runs||Two heads at the same time|