Versus is a DLC (Downloadable Content) variation of the Mercenaries minigame, pitting players against each other.
Previous Mercenaries-related awards (i.e. Purchasing a Character for Mercenaries mode) are not transferred to Versus-mode and thus the player must start again, but the stages and the characters are the same. To buy a character, you need to go to the Bonus Features menu and buy them. Once you purchase a character, it will be available for every versus mode.
There are four gametypes of "Versus-mode".
- Slayers: a free for all fight. It can be played with 2-4 players. The weapons given in this type is the same as mercenaries. The objective in this game is to kill as many Majini as possible, doing combos and picking the combo bonus. Killing players also awards points, but you should concentrate on killing the creatures. If you die, then you will lose points from your score. The player in last will get double the score for each creature he defeats. Each monster has a different type of score.
- Team Slayers: a 2 on 2 (Alpha team vs Bravo team) fight to kill each other and the other Majini for points. Weapons are the same as in Slayers.
- Survivors: a free for all fight against each other, where killing the Majini is not required. The more damage you do to your opponent(s) the more points you get and if you are damaged, your score will diminish (to a minimum of zero). The weapons you start with are different than in The Mercenaries or in Slayers. Each character has a different starting weapon. You can also find weapons that are in specific places (though they change in each new game) or by killing the boss of the stage. If you die a random weapon from your inventory will drop (excluding the starting weapon). Instead of combo bonus you will find Grenades, First Aid Sprays, Herbs, rounds for the Grenade Launcher, or Proximity Bomb depending on the stage. Also as in Slayers, the player in last place will receive a double in the score for each successful hit. The weapons that can be found in this mode are: H&K PSG-1 (rifle), M3 (shotgun), S&W M500 (magnum), Rocket Launcher and the Grenade Launcher (only in The Mines, Ancient Ruins, Missile Area, Ship Deck and Prison stages). When a player is put into dying status, other players can go to make a finishing move that will kill the player.
- Team Survivors: a 2 on 2 fight with the same principle.
When a player dies their inventory will not reset, but their weapons will receive a full magazine.
Starting items (Survivors mode)Edit
The characters in survivors have different starting weapons than the ones in Slayers, though they share the same moveset.
Beretta - 30 bullets
Unlock: Default character
Beretta 92F (handgun) 25 bullets
Unlock: Default Character
Px4 - 25 bullets
Unlock: Versus Mode Character E (5,000 Exchange Points)
Beretta 92F - 15 bullets
Unlock: Versus Mode Character H (50,000 Exchange Points)
SIG P226 - 16 bullets
Unlock: Versus Mode Character A (8,000 Exchange Points)
AK-74 - 50 rounds
Unlock: Versus Mode Character C (6,000 Exchange Points)
Jill (Battle Suit)Edit
VZ61 - 80 rounds
Unlock: Versus Mode Character F (7,000 Exchange Points)
SIG 556 - 45 rounds
Unlock: Versus Mode Character B (13,000 Exchange Points)
H&K MP5 - 65 rounds
Unlock: Versus Mode Character D (15,000 Exchange Points)
H&K P8 - 25 bullets
Unlock: Versus Mode Character G (30,000 Exchange Points)
There are ten awards that are only for the Versus Mode. They can only be unlocked by fulfilling certain requirements in Versus Mode. If you do not have Versus Mode, then you will not be able to unlock them. Here's a list of the awards:
- "Army of One" - Win 30 matches in Slayers.
- "Eye of the Tiger" - Win 30 matches in Survivors.
- "The Team That Slays Together..." - Win 30 matches in Team Slayerggjvvhbcvh" - Win 30 matches in Team Survivors.
- "Keep the Good Times Rolling" - Chain a 20-defeated combo in Slayers.
- "It Takes Two to Tango" - Chain a 40-defeated combo in Team Slayers.
- "It's All About the Points" - Score at least 40,000 points in Survivors.
- "There's no "I" in Team" - Score at least 80,000 points in Team Survivors.
- "Let's Get This Party Started!" - Unlock all selectable characters in Versus.
- "Bringing the Pain" - Defeat 100 players using hand-to-hand attacks in Versus.