Zombies appear in a number of games with varying abilities and strengths. Most RE installments have certain zombie nuances and traits that make gameplay slightly different for each title.
Zombies are not limited to just walking around and biting. Although limited in their brainpower, zombies can plan attacks; albeit to a minor extent. Some have been encountered "playing dead" until within a certain range of their prey.
- Bite: The "bite" is the signature move shown by zombies. When close to a survivor, a zombie will lunge straight for them and rip into their flesh with their teeth. The saliva in the zombie's mouth will make contact with the wound and spread the t-Virus.
- Scratch: Like their V-ACT successors, zombies use their sharp fingernails to cut open skin. This can be used to injure potential victims before eating them. Zombies in Resident Evil Outbreak File #1 and #2 often attack using this method.
- Vomit: Most zombies share a habit for random vomiting. They often do this if their target is out of their reach or when chasing small prey like Sherry Birkin in RE2. Some appear to vomit at the same time as they are attacking an enemy. The vomit tends to inflict damage due to an unknown acidic trait.
- Crawling: When zombies lose use of their legs, they will instead crawl using their hands. Once in proximity of their prey they will bury their teeth in their victim's legs or foot.
- "Playing Dead": Some zombies may lie on the floor in a motionless state; mimicking death. When prey have moved too close, they will attack them by grabbing and biting into the leg. Zombies "playing dead" can be found if their head is seen moving with the prey; watching it. They can be confirmed as dead when a pool of blood starts to form around the zombies body.
- Diving: In Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil Code Veronica, zombies will sometimes dive at their target's legs then bite while they are getting shot or knifed. This act of desperation is another manifestation of their intense desire to feed.
- Sprinting: In Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil Code Veronica and Resident Evil Outbreak File 1/2, zombies sometimes dash after their targets for a short period. In outbreak file 1/2, there is a second type of dash which is faster.
Zombies are the weak creatures in most games, however, they present more of a challenge when attacked in groups, so some tactics are needed in order to kill these groups of enemies
It is advised to use handguns when there are 2 or 3 separate zombies in a large area. When the zombie begin collapse, stop shooting, only continue to shoot the grounded zombie when they're completely grounded because the damage will not count when they collapse.
When confronting groups of zombies, a shotgun is preferable, because it can kill multiple zombies at close range in a single shot. It is possible to kill 3 zombies at a time using the aforementioned tactic.
It is inadvisable to use the Magnum Revolver on zombie, as Magnum Rounds are rare and should probably reserved exclusively for stronger enemies or situations where extreme damage is necessary.
Capcom Vs. seriesEdit
Jill Valentine is able to summon zombies in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to attack her opponents. The zombies come in two varieties; normal ones that grab and bite opponents before disappearing and ones that are covered in flames, which do increased damage on contact. Both types can be knocked down and defeated easily by oncoming attacks, projectiles, or even quickly following summons, such as Cerberus, crows, or the Tyrant. The normal ones may take a dive to begin biting the opponent's legs.
In Marvel vs. Capcom 3, zombies are shown being engaged by Chris and Jill in the prologue comic, and in Hulk's ending already defeated by he and Chris. Jill is incapable of summoning zombies to attack for her like in the previous game, as she is based on her Resident Evil 5 appearance.
In a number of games, zombies are divided into "types" based on gameplay mechanics, whereby one group will be stronger than another, or otherwise hold special properties such as having a chance of dropping items.